Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Back to training

Update from yesterday's post: Jake Stachovak spent last night at our house on his way back to his home in Wisconsin, and it was great to get another little visit with him.

Well, with my next likely race about seven weeks away, it's time to settle back into a good training routine.  First, a new weight circuit.  Today I did three laps of the following:

Dips, 10 reps
4-way abdominals, 8 reps
Front and lat raises with 10-lb. dumbbells, 10 reps
Yoga back extension, 40 seconds
Bent-over rows with 35-lb. dumbbells, 10 reps

A "Yoga back extension" is something I learned at a slalom training camp years ago, when one of the coaches was showing us some simple yoga exercises: it's like a regular back extension, where you lie face-down on a bench and lift your torso, except there's no bench.  You just lie face-down on the floor and lift both your legs and your torso and hold them up for a length of time.

One day I'll teach myself how to mess around with mpeg files and stuff, and I'll post some video of myself doing all these exercises.  Until then, feel free to ask me if you're curious about any of the exercises.

After the strength work, I went to the river and paddled for 105 minutes.  I paddled my wife's touring boat since my surf ski is in the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment