Sunday, March 25, 2012

Training volume considerations

Today I did six laps of the March strength circuit and paddled my boat for 100 minutes.

I recently revisited this article addressing the question of how much training one should do.  My favorite line is this: "Training does not make you better or faster. It's the RECOVERY from training that brings improvement."

I knew rest was important before I read this article, but seeing the idea put in those words prompted me to take it more seriously.  These days I try to make sure that my rest days are as restful as possible.  For example, I schedule my strength workouts on the same days that I schedule hard workouts in the boat (which I'll be starting up very soon) so that the "off" days will be totally off.  I'm also thinking more about the role nutrition plays in recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment