Saturday, March 17, 2012

Blade in the water

The other day I saw some video footage of my finish at Ocean Springs two weeks ago.  I noticed I wasn't getting my paddle blades fully submerged on my strokes.  Granted, I was worn out from racing for an hour and a half and probably couldn't be expected to take flawless strokes at that point, but it bothered me anyway.  So today, as I paddled for 130 minutes on the Mississippi and Wolf Rivers, I worked on this one aspect of my stroke, making sure I inserted the blade completely into the water every time.

Concentrating on one little thing like that is exhausting.  As I try to get the blade down in the water, I have to make sure I don't bob the boat by lunging forward and downward too hard, or slump my body too much in an effort to get a little closer to the water.  And for me at least, there's a feeling in the back of my mind that while I may be doing that one thing perfectly, the rest of my stroke and my boat control are falling apart.  The result is that I feel like I've altogether forgotten how to paddle, and I feel all frustrated by the time I get back to the dock.

One thing I probably need to do is get someone to take some video of me paddling on a regular basis to see if I really need the sort of work I put myself through today.

No comments:

Post a Comment