Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Quite a day

I have a feeling I'm going to be one sore dude for the next couple of days, because I did a bunch of stuff today that my body isn't used to.

First, my strength routine for February: I started here at home with a set of pullups, followed by a static leg lift while hanging from the pullup bar (I raised my legs straight out in front of me for a twenty-count).  I did this cycle twice.

Then I drove down to the river and did the same medicine ball exercises I did Sunday in the Greenbelt Park.  One of these exercises is a rotational power drill, sort of like what these tennis players are doing in this video.  The other is the "clean and jerk" exercise that starts at the 2-minute mark of this video.  I did two sets of ten for each.

Finally, it was time to get in the boat.  I met Joe at the marina, and since it was a sunny, calm day with a forecast high over 60 degrees Fahrenheit, I decided to do a longer session in the K1.  With Joe there for support in case of a swim, I paddled from the marina to the north end of the harbor and back, a total distance of about three miles. I stayed upright the whole way, but I had to focus nearly a hundred percent of my concentration on balance.  I had brief stretches where I seemed to get in some smooth strokes with good rotation, but I did plenty of braces, too.  It tired me out mentally and I started getting pretty sloppy in the last thousand meters or so.  When we got back to the marina I swapped out for the surf ski and paddled to the south end of the harbor and back in that.

I'm expecting to wake up tomorrow with soreness in my biceps from the pullups and in my core from the leg raises and from trying to keep the K1 upright.  But it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment