Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Balance drills (aluminum can version)

I paddled the K1 in the harbor for 60 minutes this morning.  It might have been my last time in the boat this week: I'll be demonstrating bowl carving this weekend at the Pink Palace Crafts Fair here in Memphis, and I'll be busy getting ready for that from tomorrow on.

I might have mentioned in the past that I'm in the habit of picking up aluminum cans that I find floating in the water.  The Memphis riverfront has a litter problem that is much too big for me to solve by myself, but by focusing on cans I can at least feel like I'm a tiny part of the solution.  When I'm done paddling, I take the cans up to the grocery store near the marina and deposit them in a collection bin there; the proceeds benefit the Humane Society.

The trouble is, the K1 does not double as a garbage scow very well.  Twice this morning I flipped while trying to pour the water out of a can with one hand and brace with my paddle with the other.  The second flip provided some entertainment for some construction workers up on the Hernando DeSoto Bridge.

Each time I managed to dump out my boat and get going again pretty quickly.  But there was a north wind blowing that seemed to intensify as the hour went on, and it was not fun exposing myself to that while dripping wet.

Oh well... I came away none the worse for wear.  And I made the water I paddle on a tiny smidgen cleaner, and I sent a few extra pennies in the Humane Society's direction.  It really doesn't take much more than that to get me singing a happy tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment