Sunday, October 6, 2013

The length of the harbor, again

This morning I paddled the K1 for 60 minutes downtown.  After a rather warm, muggy week, a front came through last night and it was overcast and cooler than 60 degrees Fahrenheit when I got up this morning.

I warmed up in the boat by paddling from the marina down to the mouth of the harbor, and then I timed myself on the same course I did back on September 3, only in reverse.  Starting at the imaginary line that extends into the harbor from the double yellow line on Beale Street, I proceeded to record the following splits:

4:34 at the southern edge of the monorail bridge
6:57 at the southern edge of the Hernando DeSoto Bridge
10:24 at the southern edge of the Auction Avenue bridge
11:46 at the northern edge of Harbortown Marina
23:13 at the finish by the barge mooring tower at the north end of the harbor

Relaxing my legs, hips, and abdominals is a big theme--I want to trust the stability of my boat so my body can do all the things it needs to do to produce good strokes.

It's hard to know exactly why I was a whole minute slower today than I was on September 3.  I have not achieved consistency in this boat yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment