Friday, October 4, 2013

In a day's work

I spent most of the day painting at my building, but I stole down to the riverfront for an hour in the K1 this morning.

Down at the marina my friend Joe was preparing to paddle for the first time since having rotator cuff surgery back in June.  As we set off together toward the south end of the harbor, he apologized for how slow he was going, but it was just fine with me.  I paddled a relaxed pace and did all kinds of little balance drills while we talked.  I remember Joe and I paddled together shortly after I got the K1 last winter and I could barely listen to what Joe was saying because I was so focused on staying upright.  The fact that I could carry on a normal conversation with him today is a sign of some good progress over the summer.

Joe returned to the dock after 40 minutes or so of paddling, and I spent another 20 minutes doing some short sprints before coming back in myself.  Then it was back to work over at the building.  I think most people hear the word "kayaking" and they imagine epic trips through remote canyons or out on the open sea.  Such things are wonderful whenever you can do them, but I enjoy just as much the idea of taking a little time to paddle during the course of a busy day here in my home city.

No comments:

Post a Comment