Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Trying to learn some speed

Work continues on my building, and I've been doing a good bit of it myself, such as painting and going to the store for supplies and stuff like that.  But I learned my lesson from last week and set aside some time this morning to paddle.

I paddled the K1 in the harbor for 60 minutes.  I timed myself twice from the monorail bridge to the Hernando DeSoto Bridge, and did a few shorter sprints as well.  I've been trying to incorporate these faster pieces into my K1 sessions all summer so I can develop some modicum of motor skill at a higher level of intensity.  I don't just want to paddle this boat without flipping; I want to go fast in it.  That's what a K1 is for, isn't it?

My times from the monorail bridge to the HDB were 2:05 (not bad) and 1:59 or 2:00 (possibly my best ever).  I had a pretty strong tailwind, and on that second piece I think it blew me as much as a boatlength over the starting line while I was waiting for my watch to reach the top of the minute, so I probably shouldn't get too excited about my good times--I'm a cheerless coach, I know.  But it was nice to see some positive results.

I spent the afternoon back at the building and got some good work done.  It's all added up to a day I can feel good about.

On another topic, I have weighed myself the last two days and I'm down to 143.5 pounds... yikes!  Oddly, I've been feeling pretty good, not low on energy like I often feel during low-weight periods.

No comments:

Post a Comment