Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Keeping at it in the K1

The hot, humid Memphis summer that we all know and love is beginning to assert itself.  One of the things I liked about that rainy weather pattern we had throughout June was how beautiful the sky was, the combination of storm clouds and sunlight doing all kinds of neat things.  Today we've got the sort of sky that I associate with the dog days of summer: hazy, washed out, not really cloudy but not a clear blue sky either.

Joe and I usually paddle together on Tuesdays, but he got caught up at work today and I paddled by myself for 60 minutes.  Down at the river it was much windier than I was expecting on a hot day like today, so it was time for some stability practice in the K1.  A drill I've been doing for years in the surf ski is to paddle in beam waves while trying to maintain as close to good flatwater form as possible.  In the K1 today I felt totally awkward doing this.

I think I'll be doing some racing this weekend: the North Fork Canoe Race and Show-Me State Championships are taking place up at Tecumseh, Missouri.  Most of the races take place on Norfork Lake, and I think that'll be a good place to try out the K1 in a competitive situation for the first time.  It's a very low-key event that racers in that region use as a tune-up for the USCA nationals; the format mimics that of the USCAs.  If I swim, I swim... it's usually plenty hot up there, so I'll relish the chance to cool off.

No comments:

Post a Comment