Sunday, July 27, 2014

Settling back in

We spent the first half of this past week in the town of Gardiner, Montana, at the north entrance to Yellowstone.  On Tuesday I went rafting on the Yellowstone River with my sister and my niece and nephew.  We put in just downstream of the park boundary (river boating is illegal inside the park) and floated some eight miles.  The kids had a great time, mostly by getting splashed by big waves and taking part in our guide's plot to pull the guide of another raft into the water.  But I took every opportunity I could to share with them a few of the finer points of paddling... somebody's got to make sure those kids get raised right.

We flew home Thursday, and as lovely as the American West is, I'm glad to be back in my place, following my own schedule, getting back on my own diet, abiding by my own rules.

I would really like to get back into a strength routine, and this morning I took a baby-step in that direction.  There's a post on Ron Lugbill's blog that lays out a "5P" workout (the 5 Ps are plyometrics, pushups, pullups, planks, and prehab).  This morning I did a couple of sets of fifteen pushups, just to ease my muscles into it, and several of the prehab exercises (in my case they were actually rehab, since they targeted my ailing back).  We're moving into the dog days of summer and I'm busy with all kinds of other things, but I hope I can build up a decent strength routine over the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment