Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Snake

I'm a couple of days into my vacation out West, and mostly I've been tired.  I don't know if it was the jet plane or the change in my diet or just the general shove out of my normal routine, but I haven't felt all that energetic so far.

But I'm here, so I've got to do what I can.  Today I had a lovely canoe trip down a section of the Snake River with my 12-year-old nephew Ben.  We put in just below the Jackson Lake dam and took out at Pacific Creek.  The section was not at all difficult, but had enough moving water for me to teach Ben a little about ferries and eddy turns and peel outs.  Before today I don't think I had ever taken Ben on anything but the flatwater of Wolf River Harbor at home.

We had a great view of Mount Moran for much of the trip.  We also saw a bald eagle, an otter, several white pelicans, lots of ducks, and lots of fish.

We're spending one more night in Jackson, and then tomorrow we'll head north through Grand Teton National Park and arrive in West Yellowstone by the end of the day.  Like I said before, if an opportunity to paddle presents itself I'll jump on it, but otherwise I'll flow along with whatever the family is doing.  I hope I can get some more pep in my step soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment