Saturday, July 5, 2014

Road trip

I've had two or three tough days in the pain department this week.  I woke up Wednesday with incredible discomfort in my neck and left shoulder, and I suspect that Tuesday's K1 paddling in unstable conditions had a lot to do with it.  I think it was also the result of my being stressed out over some of life's minutiae.

By yesterday the area was finally starting to feel better.  Right now I've got that little bit of soreness or knottiness in my left shoulder that I just can't seem to get rid of.  I had a fairly uneventful Independence Day, and now I'm getting ready to drive up to the southern Missouri hamlet of Tecumseh for some racing tomorrow.  There's actually some racing going on up there today in the USCA C1 and C2 classes, but the events I plan to do are tomorrow: in the morning I will race my old "Apple Turnover" rudderless kayak on the North Fork of the White River from Sunburst Ranch to Dawt Mill, and in the afternoon I'll go downriver to Norfork Reservoir and race my K1.  The distance of the latter event is about seven and a half miles; I can't remember the mileage of the river race, but it's something less than ten miles.

It'll be my first time paddling the K1 in a competitive situation, and I'm going in with no particular expectations.  I just hope to have some fun with it, and I'm also looking forward to getting away from the worries of home for a short while and seeing some friends I don't see all that often.

No comments:

Post a Comment