Sunday, July 13, 2014

Offseason tinkering

I've been mostly out of the boat this week, trying to tie up all kinds of loose ends before I leave this Tuesday on a trip to Yellowstone National Park with my sister's family and my mother.  The layoff has probably not been such a bad thing, as it's allowed me to let last Sunday's frustration wear off a bit.  My back is feeling better as well, though there's still that sore spot in the upper left quadrant that I just can't shake.  I'm afraid it's just waiting to flare up again as soon as I put some stress on it.

I paddled with Joe last Tuesday for 70 minutes.  It was quite windy, so I paddled the surf ski.  Today it was calm, and I got in a 40-minute session in the K1.  Heeding Mike Herbert's advice, I put a foot strap in my K1 today--actually just a nylon-webbing belt that I've had for years and never wear.  And I could definitely see how this feature will make a positive difference.  That old Mike knows a thing or two.

I spent much of the 40 minutes experimenting with the added control the strap gives me over my boat.  Then I did a couple of timed pieces: from the monorail bridge to the Hernando DeSoto Bridge (for which my PR is about 1:59) and from one set of pilings to the other beneath the A.W. Willis (formerly the Auction Avenue) Bridge (for which my PR is about 0:29).  I tried to concern myself less with my times than with good form in the boat.  Though I did not feel especially fluid or relaxed, my times ended up being decent: 2:03 and 0:30.

I think a good plan for the rest of this summer is to do a lot of untimed short, fast pieces, trying to achieve a higher comfort level at high intensity.

No comments:

Post a Comment