Thursday, February 5, 2015

Jumping into February with both feet

On Tuesday I paddled with Joe for 80 minutes.  Most of the time we maintained a moderate pace, but picked it up nicely in the last ten minutes or so.

Yesterday I did a light run-through of my February strength routine, trying out several new exercises and putting together a half-dozen or so that will work muscle groups throughout the body.  I'll try to get the routine finalized and post it here tomorrow.

It dropped below freezing last night, but with bright sunshine this morning I thought it would be warming up nicely by the time I headed to the river around 10:00 AM.  It wasn't.  My car's in-dash temperature display read 31 degrees Fahrenheit when I arrived at the marina, and a stiff, cold north wind was blowing.  But no matter--on any given day, I can just about guarantee that I've paddled on a worse day.

My 60-minute session went like this:

0:00-0:10  Warm up

0:10-0:15 Three 8-stroke sprints

0:15-0:55 Ultra-short race pace training like I did on Sunday, ten strokes on and twenty strokes off.  This time I think I did a better job of not doing the pieces too hard.  The "race pace" I'm shooting for is about what I would do in the June 20 Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race, which at 5000 meters is the shortest, fastest race I'm likely to do this year.  Once again, there's a good explanation of USRP training here.

0:55-1:00 Cool down

No comments:

Post a Comment