Thursday, February 19, 2015

Wicked cold (cont'd)

Today has been perhaps the most frigid day in an utterly frigid week here in the Mid South.  When I arrived at the riverfront this morning the temperature was 21 degrees Fahrenheit, on its way to a forecast high of about 25.  I'm not liking it a bit, but I'm trying my best to face it with a grin.  I can't change the weather and I might as well just immerse myself.

Happily, most of the ice had melted off the ramp down to the marina, so that was one life-threatening ordeal fewer than I faced on Tuesday.  My rudder was predictably frozen, so I had to paddle circles around the marina until the just-above-freezing water of the harbor thawed it out.  Finally, then, I could settle down to business.

After warming up and doing my three 8-stroke sprints, I did a loosely-structured workout I've done for years.  After reaching the north end of the harbor, I spent the paddle back south picking out stretches between fixed objects, like barge moorings and bridge pilings, and paddling those stretches at sub-maximum intensity.  The longest piece I did was maybe 30 seconds.

As for the rest of this week, the meteorologists are predicting more frozen precipitation tomorrow, followed by a Fahrenheit temperature above 60--60!--on Saturday.  So goes an old saying here in our fine city: if you don't like the weather, just wait a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment