Thursday, February 12, 2015

Putting theory into practice

It was a blustery day for paddling today: about 39 degrees Fahrenheit, the wind whistling out of the north.

After warming up, I did another three of my 8-stroke sprints.  A good explanation of what I'm trying to do here comes from Scott Shipley in his book Every Crushing Stroke: The Book of Performance Kayaking.

Combinations of forces: Another name for this is "coordination."  The best paddlers coordinate their entire body into making each stroke.  Each muscle fires in coordination with all the rest such that a steady crushing force is applied in a controlled yet explosive manner.

This passage is what's on my mind during the 8-stroke sprints, and most of the rest of my sessions, too.  Once I plant my blade for the catch, giving it a split second to get seated in the water, I try to coordinate all the muscle groups I use for a stroke--the legs, the hips, the abdominals, the lats, the arms--in one nice fluid-but-powerful motion.  Though it might not look it to the casual observer, a lot of stuff has to happen just right to produce the best stroke I'm capable of.  And that's the point of all this practice.

For the rest of my 60-minute session I did another round of ultra-short race pace training.  Right now forty minutes seems to be a good duration for this work.  If I go longer, my form and concentration seem to start falling apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment