Thursday, March 19, 2015

Ow. It hurts.

On Tuesday Joe and I paddled very easy.  I was still quite achy and sore from the time trial on Sunday and also from some logging work I did on Monday.  On Monday and yesterday I did the March strength routine.

By today my muscles were feeling recovered, but now I have a new problem: some kind of infection on my right foot.  It started a few days ago as what I though was just typical athlete's foot or toe-rot or something like that, right in between the two littlest toes.  But last night around suppertime the area starting hurting much worse, and when I took my shoe and sock off to look at it I saw that the pinkie toe was very swollen.

After sleeping in pain last night, I called my dermatologist's office this morning to see if they could work me in, but tomorrow around lunchtime is the earliest appointment they could give me.  So I'm grinning and bearing it until then.

I went down to the river and paddled for 60 minutes, doing three 8-stroke sprints and some ultra-short race pace training.  The foot didn't feel too bad in the boat: I'd been worried because this season I've been following some advice Mike Herbert gave me last summer and relying more on the footboard strap for leverage in boat-propulsion, but it turned out the strap doesn't contact the part of my foot where the infection is.  So at least I got a satisfying workout in today, no matter how much of a bummer today might otherwise be.

No comments:

Post a Comment