Wednesday, August 5, 2015

A new strength routine; races coming soon

I'm easing into a new strength routine for the month of August.  With races coming up later in the month, I'm keeping this one pretty simple and focused on "pre-hab" exercises:

1.  Stability ball drill shown at 1:35 of the Jing Jing Li video
2.  Flies with the rubber bands
3.  Stability ball drill shown at 1:53 of the Jing Jing Li video
4.  A compound exercise with the rubber bands that includes squats and overhead curls

Yesterday I did a "pyramid" workout in the boat: pieces of 1', 2', 3', 4', 3', 2', 1' with two minutes recovery in between.  My objective was to paddle at the maximum pace I'm likely to reach during the two-hour race I have coming up on the 22nd of this month.  I usually top out with a 5-minute piece in this workout, but scaled it back a bit yesterday because of the heat.  Another heat-dodging move was to do most of the workout in the shadow of the Hernando DeSoto Bridge.  Even with those precautions, the workout took a lot out of me and I felt worn out the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment