Sunday, August 2, 2015

Another week, another recap

For about the last six weeks I'd been doing the June-July strength routine on Mondays and Wednesdays and Fridays, but last Monday I gave myself the day off.  It was the first day in a while that I hadn't either paddled or done strength work.  I've had a lot going on in my non-athletic life lately, and it was nice to have a day to focus on other stuff.  I did do the strength routine on Wednesday and Friday, and now with a new month underway I'll be drawing up a new routine shortly.

Tuesday was a speed day in the boat.  After warming up and doing three 8-stroke sprints, I did six sprints of approximately 30 seconds on fixed courses in the harbor.  I sprinted from one set of pilings to the other beneath the Auction Avenue (A.W. Willis) bridge (best time was about 30 seconds), from one set of pilings to the other beneath the Hernando DeSoto Bridge (about 32 seconds), from one piling to the other beneath the Mud Island Monorail bridge (about 28 seconds), and the entire length of the Beale Street Landing floating dock (about 38 seconds).

On Friday and today I did 60-minute sessions in which I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints, and then paddled steady with a couple of strong surges of three minutes or so.

And yesterday I taught my last "Intro to Kayaking" class of the summer.  It was a pleasure meeting and working with the couple dozen or so students who signed up this year.

We finally got a break from the stifling heat in the second half of the week.  The high temperatures were still quite warm--low to mid 90s Fahrenheit--but a mass of drier air moved in from up north, keeping the heat index at a much more bearable level.  I expect we'll be back to sweltering discomfort soon, but at least with July over it feels like we're on the downhill side of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment