Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Balance is a skill

Today I did two rounds of the August strength routine.  A couple of the exercises require some pretty keen balance, and when I started the routine a week ago I could barely do them.  Today I'm doing them a lot better even though they're still not easy.  It's a nice little reminder that balance is something you can improve with some practice and persistence, even in a very tippy race boat.

Yesterday I paddled for 60 minutes out on the Mississippi.  As usual I started with a warmup and several 8-second sprints.  During the course of the session I did several pretty hard two-minute surges.  Anybody who's raced with me knows that mid-race surges are a big part of my racing game, and I hope to be prepared to throw in some more during the two races I've got coming up this month.

We've finally gotten a true break from the dog days of summer, as some drier air has moved in from up north.  I don't know if it'll last until my race a week from this Saturday, but maybe the weather won't be as oppressive as it has been for the last few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment