Monday, May 30, 2016

Cautiously nudging up the intensity

In each of my last several times in the boat, my hip has been pain free for the first ten minutes or so but has become sore later in the session.  My approach has been to put a bit more stress on it each time out--without overdoing it--and then giving it time to recover before the next time in the boat.  I'm hoping that it will be a bit more solid each time.

On Saturday I paddled for 40 minutes in the harbor and a little bit out on the river, throwing in occasional short surges to see what the hip muscle could handle.  It was sore by the end of the session like I said, but didn't seem any worse when I woke up yesterday morning.

I gave myself all of yesterday off.  This morning I went down to the dock and did two rounds of my May-June strength routine, and then got in the boat for 50 minutes of paddling.  I warmed up for ten minutes, and needed all of that time to work out the fatigue from the strength exercises.  Then I did six two minute pieces with two minutes recovery in between.  The weather was calm, so it was a good day to use the GPS; I shot for 7 mph on each piece.  Once again the soreness in my hip increased as time went on, but I was careful not to red-line it and I think it will recover okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment