Friday, May 13, 2016

Today's inspiration

Here's an inspiring little video put together by the Nantahala Outdoor Center:




Basically, it celebrates everything that is good about competition, and how a beautiful river and a joyous sport like canoeing and kayaking can bring out all those good things.  Several of my favorite quotes:

"I love racing, and I love the fact that it made me better and more valuable in every role that I had at NOC... to do it right, a little bit better each time, matters."  --Gordon Grant

"Guests want to be surrounded by people who are really at the top of their game--people who are pushing the envelope, doing it gracefully..."  --John Burton

"Once you're been there, it's with you.  Once you've put your toe in the Nantahala River, it's with you forever."  --Lecky Haller


Paddlesports are not immune to the uglier aspects of competition.  Over the years I've encountered a few bloated egos, some behind-the-scenes backbiting, even some underhanded in-race tactics once or twice.  But in general I think the shared love for the beautiful environs promotes unity rather than discord among canoe and kayak racers.

The rivers around the North Carolina summer camp I attended, including the Nantahala, were where I first learned to love paddling.  Like Lecky said, it's with me forever.  As I've gotten older and visited an ever-growing list of rivers, I've learned to see that beauty in them as well, including, significantly, my river here at home, the Mississippi.

No comments:

Post a Comment