Sunday, March 15, 2020

Still yearning for sunny days

We're having another run of rainy, cloudy days here in the Mid South.  When I got down to the river yesterday morning it had rained a good bit overnight but had let up for a few hours.

Adam Davis joined me again and we paddled a loop around the Loosahatchie Bar.  We kept a good pace going and got a solid overdistance session.  Adam's G.P.S. device produced this map of what we did:


If it looks like we paddled over some land at the north end of the Bar, that's because the river level (25.6 feet on the Memphis gauge) was higher than whatever it was when this satellite image was made.  Because I put in at the marina about a mile farther north in the harbor than Adam's start/finish point, my total distance was around 12.6 miles.  My elapsed time was about a minute under two hours.

More drenching rains fell last night.  With the temperature in the low 40s Fahrenheit, it was a cold, soggy world I ventured out into this morning.  I went down to the river planning to paddle for 60 minutes and do a crisp workout.  When I say "crisp," I mean high in intensity but short in duration.  Long grinds have their place, but I'm looking to tip the balance in favor of quality more than ever this year.

So, after warming up and doing three 8-stroke sprints, I embarked on eight reps of 45 seconds on, 75 seconds off.  The sprints were tough but my body seemed to handle them just fine--75 seconds seemed to be adequate recovery throughout the workout.

As I walked from the marina back to the parking lot I saw a couple of patches of blue sky.  But I think most of the coming week will be cloudy with chances of rain every day.  I guess that's fairly standard for late winter and early spring.

Regarding my hands and wrists: they've done okay this weekend, though there continue to be moments when they seem to go to sleep on me.  I was right concerned when I woke up yesterday morning because they were throbbing pretty good, but they seemed to get circulating once I was in the boat.  While paddling today they felt fine at times and dead at times.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment