Friday, March 27, 2020

The distancing intensifies

On Tuesday morning I did a round of the strength routine and then met Joe to paddle a loop of the harbor.

Meanwhile, the mayors of my city and county had handed down a "shelter in place" order.  It took effect at 6 o'clock Tuesday evening.  For the moment it falls short of all-out martial law, relying mostly on the cooperation of the populace instead.  I have heard anecdotes of cops stopping people to ask them why they're out, however, and that's a little unsettling.  The Memphis Police Department is one of the more obtuse organizations I've ever encountered and the idea of giving them one more reason to hassle people doesn't thrill me.

Our daily newspaper provides this summary:

You can

  • Go to the grocery, convenience or warehouse store
  • Go to the pharmacy to pick up medications and other healthcare necessities
  • Go to medical appointments (check with your doctor or provider first)
  • Go to a restaurant for take-out, delivery or drive-thru
  • Care for child, family member, elderly, or pet
  • Take a walk, ride your bike, hike, jog, and be in nature for exercise — just keep at least six feet between you and others. 
  • Walk your pets and take them to the veterinarian if necessary
  • Help someone to get necessary supplies
  • Receive deliveries from any business which delivers

You should not 

  • Go to work unless you are providing essential services as defined by the Order
  • Visit friends and family if there is no urgent need
  • Visit loved ones in the hospital, nursing home, skilled nursing facility or other residential care facility, except for limited exceptions as provided on the facility websites.

"Take a walk, ride your bike, hike, jog, and be in nature for exercise"--I interpret that to include paddling my boat down on the riverfront.  And so I was back there yesterday morning for a 60-minute paddle.  We finally had a warm sunny day yesterday, with the temperature shooting up into the 80s on the Fahrenheit thermometer, and I wore shorts and short sleeves for the first time in the northern hemisphere this year.

I did another round of the strength routine this morning.  It's supposed to stay warm for the next couple of days, but get stormier during the weekend.  Hopefully I can squeeze in some sort of river adventure tomorrow.

How am I feeling?  Great, that's how.  But I'm still trying to act under the assumption that I'm an asymptomatic carrier of the virus, keep my distance from everybody I encounter, and be as responsible as I know how to be.  Really, this new shelter-in-place order is just asking me to do what I'd already been doing for at least a week: staying home aside from trips to the river and the grocery store.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment