Monday, January 17, 2022

Monday photo feature

When I'm in South Africa next week I'll be participating in the fourth of four downwind camps that Dawid and Jasper Mocke lead each year.  The third camp took place last week.

From what I was able to gather from the Mockes' social media posts, they apparently had several non-windy days during last week's camp.  That, of course, is the risk that those of us who travel there take.  The Western Cape of South Africa usually has strong winds that generate good downwind conditions out on the Miller's Run, but they're not guaranteed.

I've found myself worrying a bit about that: what if, after all the expense of this trip, and all the hassle of getting a PCR test and spending 24 hours on airplanes and in airports, I get there and the wind decides not to blow for most of my stay?  It would definitely be a little disheartening.

But the Mocke brothers do have other activities cued up to make sure their campers get a worthwhile experience.  When the wind died down this past Saturday, they led the group on a trip around the tip of the Cape of Good Hope, and that's something I'd love to do.  Don't get me wrong--I'm hoping for five or six days of downwind awesomeness.  But I think a chance to paddle around the Cape Point would be a pretty cool alternative on a non-windy day.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment