Thursday, January 13, 2022

Staying busy on and off the water

On Monday I did the bike ride I'd begged off of on Sunday.  The weather was definitely better--most importantly, the sun was out--but it was still very chilly with a Fahrenheit temperature in the low 40s.  I rode the Greater Memphis Greenline out to Shelby Farms, did a loop around Patriot Lake, and came back home.  I rode a little over 90 minutes and covered just over 34 kilometers (21.1 miles).

Tuesday morning I did a gym session and then went to the river for a 50-minute paddle.  The temperature was a few degrees higher but still not warm.

I was back on the bike yesterday for a shorter, quicker ride.  In one hour I rode 21.1 kilometers (13.1 miles).

This morning we had the nicest weather of the week so far: sunny skies, light winds, and a temperature in the mid 50s.  It was time for some higher intensity in the boat.  I warmed up and did a set of three 8-stroke sprints, and then did six 250-meter pieces, starting every 7th minute.  My times were 73 seconds, 69 seconds, 73 seconds, 78 seconds, 71 seconds, and 74 seconds.  That second piece was faster because I did it right at the mouth of the harbor and got a little help from the "tidal race" current that was flowing in there from the Mississippi.  I think the fourth piece was actually a bit longer than 250 meters: I paddled under the Hernando DeSoto Bridge, and I think that disrupted the communication between my G.P.S. device and the satellite.  So, I think in all I had a good consistent effort over the six pieces.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment