Monday, August 15, 2022

Monday photo feature

It's the 2001 edition of the Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race on the Mississippi River at Memphis!  That's me paddling my old "Apple Turnover" kayak that was designed to meet official wildwater boat specs while being lighter and tippier for racing on Class I water.  It was probably not designed for something like the Mississippi River, but somehow I made it work for several years before I finally acquired my first surfski.  Photo by Emerson Wickwire.

Mike Herbert of Rogers, Arkansas, won the race that year, followed by Greg Barton of Seattle, Washington.  I was locked in a stiff competition for third place with the two guys over my right shoulder here: Peter Braul of Kincardine, Ontario, and Scott Cummins of Indianapolis, Indiana.

Here we are 21 years later, and though I've lost track of Peter, I still talk to Scott often.  Scott has moved back to his hometown of Louisville, and this Saturday he and I will be teaming up in a double surfski at the Mighty Cumberland River Run at Burkesville, Kentucky.  There's still time to register for any tandem teams out there with the nerve to come and try to beat us.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment