Monday, August 29, 2022

Weary

I can't say that last week offered much of interest to those wanting to read about canoe and kayak training.  I did my rehab exercises, but until the weekend I did little else that can be called real training or anything fitness-oriented.  Part of the reason is that I was busy with some non-athletic things: both my woodworking business and my rental properties have been commanding much of my attention lately.

And I continue to grapple with motivation and general existential questions of what my paddling future is going to look like.  It seems like in the last two years I've been training more and enjoying it less, and it's gotten to where I can't even think about my boat or the river without thinking about how exhausted I sometimes feel out there.

One idea I've had is to get back into some whitewater paddling.  But while I may in fact do that, it has motivational challenges of its own, most notably the fact that there's no whitewater where I live and I'll have to make road trips to do it.  The biggest appeal of open water/surfski paddling is that I have an ideal place to do it right here at home, and I can paddle for an hour or two and still have the rest of the day to get work done and live my life.  Getting myself to a whitewater-rich region requires investing an entire day or an entire weekend or more.

Meanwhile, I continue to have my aches and pains, and while they don't directly affect my paddling, they've been a detriment to my overall quality of life, and I'm getting more and more frustrated with their refusal to go away.  I've got the rehab exercises that my chiropractor gave me for my deltoid/biceps pain and that another physical therapist gave me for my neck tightness, but I've been doing them and doing them and doing them, and the discomfort is still there.

On top of all that, my age increased by an integer over the weekend.

Anyway... on Thursday I tried to get out and do some exercise in the form of riding my bike.  But about three miles from home I got another flat tire.  I had all the necessary tools to change a tire except one, and it was an important one: an air pump.  I've given up on the old tubular pumps that mount on a bike's frame because it takes an eternity and a lot of physical effort to achieve even 30 pounds per square inch (my bike's tires need a minimum of 40 or 45 psi).  And I was about four miles from the public pump that I'd used for my flat tire a week earlier.  So I found a place to lock up the bike, summoned an Uber to take me home, and drove my pickup truck back out to retrieve the bike.  Once I was back home from that errand I walked to the bike shop in my block and asked the friendly owner what the latest tire-inflation technology is, and he sold me a little carbon dioxide canister that he said can air up a tire in no time.  So I hope I now have all the survival gear I need now that I'm doing some slightly more serious bike riding.

Saturday morning I went down to the river and got in the boat for the first time since paddling with Scott up in Kentucky.  I'd sort of been dreading it for the reasons listed above, but once I was warmed up I didn't feel half bad in the boat.  I even had the gumption to do some surfing behind a barge rig out on the river, though I missed the best waves because I got turned broadside and took a long time getting back into the right position.  In the end I got one decent ride, and then I headed back to the harbor.

Yesterday I got back on the bike, and this time I got a good ride in without any flat tires.  I did my usual ride out to Shelby Farms and back.  I got rained on during the trip back, and that actually felt pretty good on a hot late-August afternoon.

This week will include a bit of paddling, a bit of riding, and of course more rehab work while I ponder what's ahead for me.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment