Friday, August 5, 2022

The summer fun continues

The Fahrenheit temperature rose back into the 90s in the first half of this week.  I paddled for 60 minutes on Tuesday morning and then enjoyed a cool hose bath on the dock.  I also had some summertime fruit waiting there: peaches and nectarines that I'd bought at my local farmers' market.  Pausing to savor things like that is a big part of how I survive, and even occasionally enjoy, the hot summers here.

Later this week some more rainy weather moved into the region, and that brought lower temperatures but not lower humidity.  Conditions were downright sodden as I headed out for a bike ride this morning.  The humidity in the air and the spray from the many puddles I rode through combined to soak me to the core.  I timed myself for just one 5K today, and managed 10:26--not bad for a day like today.  A highlight of the ride was seeing two deer on the Greenline in the woods near the Wolf River.

In other news, Scott Cummins and I have signed up to race a tandem surfski in the Mighty Cumberland River Run at Burkesville, Kentucky.  As of this writing we're the only tandem boat entered in the 12-mile race, so right now the trophy has our name all over it.  I know the prospect of racing a pair of studs like Scott and me strikes fear in the hearts of racers worldwide, but if there are any people reading this who'd like to partner up and paddle to the starting line alongside us, I hope they'll sign up.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment