Friday, April 12, 2019

Embracing life back home

It took me several days to get back fully into my routine here at home.  I don't think I was any more tired when I got home from the Pacific Northwest last summer than I was when I got home Sunday night.

When Joe and I met to paddle Tuesday morning, we talked some about how much a road trip can take out of you.  Some road-tripping is obviously necessary during a season of canoe and kayak racing, but I try to keep it to a minimum because I get in my best training during uninterrupted stretches at home.  I guess I sort of made an exception when I went to Apalachicola last weekend, but in general I try to give priority to events within a radius of six hours or so.

I spent the first half of this week taking "baby steps," getting myself caught up on all kinds of little things I'd neglected while out of town.  This morning I finally started up a new strength routine.  I did a cursory round, just to let my muscles know they've got a new job, and plan to settle into the routine next week.

Joe and I did an easy loop of the harbor on Tuesday.  Yesterday I elected to stay in the harbor again because of a strong wind blowing from the south-southeast, and did ten 30-second sprints at three-minute intervals.  I tried to pull hard and fast through each stroke while keeping the stroke rate under control.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment