Thursday, April 25, 2019

Soreness persists; race schedule adjustment necessary

I got the bad news Tuesday that the Bluz Cruz Canoe and Kayak Race, an event I've been participating in for years on the Mississippi River down at Vicksburg, has been called off due to floodstage river levels there.  It was supposed to take place on May 11 this year, and was going to be my next race.

On Monday I ventured back into strength work, doing just the leg and core exercises in the current routine.  There's still some stubborn soreness in the biceps areas.

On Tuesday Joe and I did a loop of the harbor.  One of the things we talked about is a paddling presentation I'm scheduled to give at one of his Outdoors, Inc., stores two weeks from Wednesday.  More on that later.

Yesterday I did another round of the strength routine.  This time I very gingerly did a few reps of the dips and pullups, just to stimulate those areas and get some blood flowing there.

By this morning the muscle soreness was down to just one spot in my right biceps area.  I went downtown and paddled in the harbor as a strong south wind blew.  I slogged into the wind until I was at the harbor's mouth, then did a set of six 12-stroke sprints back to the north with the wind at my back.  It was the first hard sprinting I'd done in a couple of weeks, and my body seemed to respond pretty well.


For more information on what this blog is about, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment