Thursday, June 7, 2012

Get-away workout

This morning I wanted to get in one last good workout before the Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race.  The general consensus among physiologists is that it takes your body around ten days to repair the damage from a hard workout and overcompensate fully.  I'm now nine days out from the OICKR, so I hope to be realizing most of the benefit from today's workout on race day.

I paddled a couple of miles from our dock to the causeway that connects Dauphin Island with the mainland.  Not having any specific workout already planned, I made one up that made use of a row of utility poles running parallel to the causeway.  I sprinted from one pole to the next, paddled easy until the top of the next minute, and repeated.  I did eight sprints.  Each one took me 35-40 seconds, so the workout amounted to eight pieces of 35-40 seconds on, 80-85 seconds off.

After that I paddled back to the dock to see if any of the kids wanted to paddle.  Joel was the only taker, so we paddled the tandem for a half hour or so.  Then I took a shower, loaded the boats on the car, and headed north.

And now I'm back in good old Memphis, Tennessee.  I enjoy going places, but returning home always feels good.  I think my trip was as good as anything I could have done in the week between Little Rock and the OICKR: I got in a couple of good workouts and otherwise just relaxed and had fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment