Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday Photo Feature

The first few times I raced in the Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race, I entered the "kayak cruising" class, intended for whitewater boats and other kayaks that weren't designed for forward speed.  Several times I used a friend's Microslipper, and several times, as in the photo above, I used another friend's John Jaycox-designed Colorado River Machine.  Back then the canoe classes started first, followed a couple of minutes later by the kayak classes; the result was that by the time I was approaching the finish line, I was in the middle of the pack of canoeists like the hombre beneath the sombrero (note the "No Passing" sign on the side of his boat--apparently, he meant it).

I competed in kayak cruising for five years, and won the class each time.  For my sixth OICKR in 1999, I decided it was time to move up to the "racing kayaks" class.  Greg Barton made his first appearance in the race that year and, not coincidentally, I did not win the class.  And I have not won the class any year since then, either.  My best finish has been third place, which I managed twice, with Greg Barton and Mike Herbert taking first and second each time.

These days the kayaks start first to magnify the star power of Barton and other elite paddlers.  Because of that, and because I'm paddling a faster boat and have improved my racing skills, I haven't had my path to the finish line blocked by paddlers in costumes in recent years.  But they will be out there when the 31st Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race commences this Saturday.  People of all ages and abilities are welcome to enter the race.  Even if you don't enter, it's worth coming down to witness the spectacle, to enjoy the post-race party in Jefferson Davis Park, and to hear the Bluff City Backsliders play some good music.

No comments:

Post a Comment