Friday, June 29, 2012

Negative numbers and triple-digit numbers

I paddled for about a half-hour in the harbor with my friend Meghan today.  The water has continued to drop since the Outdoors Race; we're now more than four feet below zero on the Memphis gauge.  The record low is -10.7 feet, set in July of 1988.  I remember that summer, when the evening news showed parts of the river where barges could not pass.

My left hamstring/rear end area is still not completely healed, and it hurt in the boat today.  I guess there are proactive things I could be doing, like stretching and heating and icing and stuff like that, but I've been so swamped with other work lately that I haven't had much time to think about it.

Meanwhile, it's a Memphis summer for real now.  Yesterday's high was 101 degrees Fahrenheit, and it's supposed to get at least that high again today and for the next few days.  I mentioned the other day that even though it's been hot the days haven't been too uncomfortable because of low humidity, but I believe that's over now.  The telltale sign is the overnight low: where earlier this week it had gotten as cool as 71 or 72 degrees at night, it's now staying above 80.  When I went out to get the paper this morning it was noticeably warmer and muggier than previous mornings had been.

No comments:

Post a Comment