Friday, September 28, 2012

Gaw-lee! That's some big water!

Martha and I woke up in a downpour at Battle Run Campground on Summersville Lake.  I threw together some breakfast and coffee as fast as I could, and then we drove down to the upper Gauley River putin just below Summersville Dam.

I immediately horned in on a solitary dude named Brian and convinced him to let me paddle with him.  Martha helped shuttle his car to the takeout, and when we returned to the putin his friends Jay and Shannon had arrived to give us a foursome.  We were ready to paddle.

I wasn't exactly feeling "in the zone" today--my lack of recent whitewater paddling combined with my vague memory of the river made me a little tentative, and I let lots of opportunities to do cool stuff pass me by.  But that's okay.  I've got two more days to work on it.

The rain continued all day, but it's supposed to move out overnight tonight.  I'm generally fine on the river in the rain, but it'll be easier for Martha to find things to do if the weather is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment