Thursday, September 27, 2012

Playing in double-A, trying to get back to triple-A

Martha and I are on the road to West Virginia.  We spent last night in the old part of Marion, Virginia.

Yesterday we swung by the Ocoee River in southeast Tennessee, because I wanted to run an easy, familiar river and make sure I still know what I'm doing in a whitewater boat.  What I discovered is that my river-running skill should be just fine for getting down the Gauley in one piece, but I'm not very sharp on the more advanced moves.  My success rate on some of the moves I've been making for years on the Ocoee was only fifty percent or so.  Yesterday I approached such moves from the Carl Swensson perspective: if I failed to execute a move, I didn't just keep trying until I was blue in the face, but rather asked myself what I could do differently that might improve my chances for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment