Monday, September 3, 2012

Going pro

I think the remnants of Hurricane Isaac have moved on from the Memphis area.  But then, I thought that yesterday too, and then around suppertime a gigantic thundershower dumped nearly two inches of rain here in just a half hour or so.  Martha and I were out at the time, and we had to negotiate several flooded streets on our way home.

Down on the riverfront this morning it was bright and sunny, but it was the usual story after a heavy rain: the harbor was teeming with litter that had been flushed from the storm drains.  I picked up enough trash to fill the milk crate that's mounted on the back of my bike, but that represented a tiny fraction of a percent of what was floating down there.

It's easy to get mad at the litter bugs among us--if they didn't litter, after all, we wouldn't have trash in the harbor or anywhere else it shouldn't be--but the real problem is that we as a society have decided it's okay to use something once and then throw it away, and I think only a shift away from that attitude will make a real difference.

On a happier note, I spent some time today playing around with the Go Pro camera that Martha gave me for my birthday last week.  I mounted it on my bike handlebars and filmed the ride down to the river, and then stuck it on the back deck of my boat for my paddling session.

I got some interesting footage, I guess, but don't look for me to post it anytime soon.  There's already too much footage on You Tube and Vimeo and similar sites of people paddling from the point of view of their bow or stern decks.  What I really want to do is collect a bunch of footage over a few years, and then edit it down into an interesting short film that somebody might actually enjoy watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment