Monday, September 24, 2012

Monday photo feature

Richard Carson runs Iron Ring in a photo I took during my first trip to the Gauley River in West Virginia in 1994.

I've been back to the Gauley maybe four or five times since then, but it's been about a decade since my last visit.  It's time to get back there, and that's what I plan to do this coming weekend.  Martha and I will leave tomorrow and spend a day at the Ocoee River, where I'll make sure I remember how to paddle my whitewater boat, and then we'll move on up to West Virginia for paddling on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

I can never look at this photo without some sadness, for Richard died in 1999 on the North Fork of the Payette River in Idaho.  His fate is a reminder for me to exercise caution and good judgement whenever I'm on the river.  At the same time, I believe that the most dangerous thing I'll do this week is not the paddling but driving my car to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment