Saturday, August 17, 2013

Ah, youth

A late addition brought this morning's roster to six, and I couldn't have asked for a more enthusiastic and good-natured bunch of kids.  I think they were all in the ten-to-twelve age range.

It's hard not to marvel at the energy of human beings at this age.  Each of these classes this summer has included a "tour" around Patriot Lake, a distance I estimate at a mile and a half or so, and the typical adult student looks as though he's been thoroughly challenged physically when it's over.  But today we got in a full lap and then added another half-lap, and the intensity was high enough that I came away feeling that I'd gotten a reasonably good morning of work.  I always enter these classes into my training log as a 60-minute session, but most Saturdays I'm drifting along with the slowest students, trying to keep an eye on the whole class.  This was the first time I thought I got anywhere near the same level of exercise that I'd get paddling myself or with a paddling peer for an hour.

The kids all left this morning acting like they wanted to paddle some more soon.  I hope they all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment