Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday photo feature


Heather McNie is a lady up in Ontario who makes high-performance clothing, boat covers, paddle bags, and similar gear for canoe and kayak racers.  I've been buying stuff from her for a number of years now.  It's a bit of a hassle figuring out the current exchange rate between U.S. and Canadian dollars and dealing with shipping across an international border, but her stuff is nice enough to make it worth the trouble every several years.

My most recent purchase from Ms. McNie is the boat cover pictured above; I got it for the K1 I bought last winter.  It's a nice cover but it came with one flaw: the pouch that the rudder fits into was positioned about a foot too far forward.

I could have sent the cover back to Ontario for alteration, but doing so would have been a hassle for the aforementioned reasons.  So instead I turned to my friend Mary Allison, the co-founder of a business here in town called Sew Memphis.  Sew Memphis offers classes for anybody interested in learning to, well... sew.

Mary Allison said the job was "a piece of cake": she moved the rudder pouch aft about a foot, and now the rudder fits into it very nicely.

If Mary Allison is still seeking her niche in this world, maybe she could become the Heather McNie of the U.S.A.!

2 comments:

  1. haha! great post, elmore! glad i could help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm most grateful! Heather's website seems to be back online now--I've linked to it above--but I was thinking for a while we were going to need you to fill the void!

    ReplyDelete