Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Scofflaws in the harbor

This blog passed ten thousand views today.  But I'm not really that excited about it because a huge number of those "views" came from spam-bot sites of one kind or another.  Thanks to all the sure-enough human beings who have visited here out of a genuine interest.

I went down to the harbor this morning and paddled the K1 for 60 minutes.  I did so having just seen this video of French flatwater canoeist Mathieu Goubel.  Flatwater canoe racers use the high-kneel, or "take-a-knee," position in their boats, and this high center of gravity in a boat that's just as tippy as a K1 makes for the most difficult balancing act in paddlesports.

In the video Goubel shares a few staples of his training routine, and I tried one of his balance drills, sitting in the boat with my paddle over my head, this morning.  While doing so I tried to keep my lower body as relaxed as I could, like I mentioned in my post about Sunday's session.

I felt good for the first 20 minutes or so of the session, but then got all distracted by outside events: a speedboat came screaming off the river into the harbor, with no regard for the "no-wake" zones; a short while later, a pair of officers with the Police Harbor Patrol came roaring out of their marina, looking to issue the driver of the speedboat the ticket he so richly deserved.  The result was a very choppy harbor that took a long time to calm down.  My concentration blown, I ambled around on a succession of braces for the next half-hour.  And so, today's session was not as satisfying as it should have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment