Sunday, August 4, 2013

Much better

This has been the most relaxing day I have had in forever.  This past week was full of "pinball" days where I felt like I was constantly on the go, but today I got to do things I care about, at my pace.

It started with a full night of sleep.  Thoroughly exhausted by the end of yesterday, I was in bed by 8:30, listening to the St. Louis Cardinals lose to the Cincinnati Reds on the radio.  I was asleep for real not long after nine o'clock.

After a leisurely breakfast this morning, I did some stretching.  Stretching is an activity that has slipped through the cracks during my insane summer, and it was nice to feel unhurried enough today to do a full stretch routine.

Then I went downtown and paddled my K1 for 60 minutes.  I felt comfortable in the boat for most of the session.  I did a few drills (one-sided paddling and backpaddling) and paddled the squirrelly water where the harbor meets the Mississippi River.  Besides that I just enjoyed another atypical August day for the Mid South: while it did get above 90 degrees Fahrenheit, the humidity was down and there was a nice north breeze.

After lunch and a nap, I went to my workshop and worked on a cabinet project that I'm getting done little by little for an understanding client.  On the radio, the Cardinals paid back those dastardly Reds with an old-fashioned spanking.

I reckon I'll do some reading this evening, and maybe break out some good tunes on my hi-fi device.  My goal for the future is for all my days to be like today.  It's a goal I probably won't ever entirely achieve, of course, but I think I'm moving in the right direction with the impending relocation of my home and workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment