Sunday, March 9, 2014

Going around the Bar

Conditions were calm today, so I did that paddle around the Loosahatchie Bar that I didn't do last Sunday.  I felt a bit sluggish in the early going, but I did my best to shake it off and paddle a crisp pace with strong strokes.  I got up to the mouth of the Wolf River pretty quickly--about 45 minutes--and continued to feel good for another 45 minutes as I ferried across the river and entered the Loosahatchie Chute, which was beautiful on this chilly, somewhat foggy day.

With the wind at my back in the Chute, I was slowed by sweat stinging my eyes.  By the time I returned to the mouth of the harbor my arms and shoulders were aching pretty good.  I tried hard to keep my stroke form together as I made my way up the harbor back to the marina.

The elapsed time between my departure from the dock and my return to the dock was about two hours and ninety seconds.  The river level today was 18.4 feet on the Memphis gauge.

No comments:

Post a Comment