Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Thinking happy thoughts

This morning I did the March strength routine and paddled for 60 minutes.  We're having another cool spell here, and I paddled in a biting north wind with a temperature in the high 40s Fahrenheit.  Every time I think it might be safe to put the pogies away for the year, more of this weather comes along and I dig them out of my bag and affix them to the paddle one more time.  The forecast for this Saturday down in Ocean Springs calls for a temperature in the 70s, so I hope not to have the pogies on during the Battle On The Bayou race.

The tightness in my upper back continues, and I'm trying to do whatever I can to help it go away.  Meanwhile, I'm trying to stay positive and not slip into self-pity: I've raced well with discomfort before, and I have to believe that I will again this weekend.

In the boat I did six 12-stroke sprints at three-minute intervals, and timed myself going not-quite-all-out from one set of pilings to the other beneath the Auction Avenue bridge.  My best time ever here is maybe 28 or 29 seconds, and today I was clocking about 32 seconds.  I tried extra-hard to keep my shoulders relaxed and let my lower torso do the work during all these sprints.

No comments:

Post a Comment