Sunday, April 19, 2015

"Be it ever so humble..."

Jimmy Guidry, a paddler whom I've seen at numerous races in the Gulf Coast region, owns Hub City Diner in Lafayette, and this morning he treated Anne and me to breakfast.  I enjoyed talking with him and eating some great food.

After that I said goodbye to Anne and began the trip home.  But before I got too immersed in the journey I wanted to get in a recovery paddle, and there was a good place right off Interstate 10 a few miles east of Lafayette.  Henderson Lake is part of the Atchafalaya Basin, and accessible from a public boat ramp next to an I-10 rest area.

Soreness was surprisingly mild after yesterday's race, but I'm having some pain today in my right deltoid muscle, as if I've strained it a little.  Time will tell, I guess.  I put myself through a low-intensity 60-minute session and enjoyed the first bright and sunny day I've seen since the race at Vicksburg eight days ago.  Henderson Lake is basically a huge forested wetland with a network of open-water channels running through it, and I paddled through several of these channels, being careful not to get lost.  I enjoyed gazing at the many cypress trees with Spanish moss hanging from them.  The coppery-brown tannin-stained water was as smooth as glass.

After paddling I continued the trip home, an affair of some seven hours.  I had earlier considered doing my recovery paddle on one of the reservoirs in north Mississippi--Grenada or Enid or Sardis--but I'm glad I got it done in the early part of the trip instead, because by the time I was on Interstate 55 north of Jackson all I could think about was how bad I wanted to be home.  Now I am home, and there is no place like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment