Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Proceeding gingerly

For the third day in a row, I'm feeling a painful twinge in the area of my right deltoid muscle.  I'm hoping it's nothing more than some irritation from last week's increased volume--I went from paddling four times a week for most of the year so far to paddling ten times in eleven days, with a fairly high-intensity race effort this past Saturday--and not something more serious like a rotator cuff injury or something like that.  I'm not panicking yet, but I am, well... concerned.  The next race I hope to do is a week from this Saturday: the Osage Paddlesports Spring 12 Race up near Jefferson City, Missouri.  We'll just have to see if I'm ready to go by then.

Oh well.  Today I took my boat back down to the marina and paddled easy for 30 minutes, trying to do the work with my legs and hips and lower torso, and minimize the stress on my arms and shoulders.  It felt good to be back on my home water.  The weather was breezy but otherwise lovely.  I saw a dozen or so turtles piled up on a tiny log, and that made me happy; turtles in general have a way of making me happy.

One thing that's fallen through the cracks this month, with my foot infection and bad reaction to the drugs and all the travel and the racing, is a strength routine.  Yesterday I began easing myself into a new one, doing a few core exercises on the stability ball.  I also did a few arm exercises with very light weights, being careful not to aggravate my shoulder pain.  I'll post the new routine here once I finish working it up; I'll probably do it into the middle of next month, then make up a new one to carry me up to the big Outdoors, Inc., Canoe and Kayak Race on the 20th of June.

No comments:

Post a Comment