Sunday, April 26, 2015

The ailment persists

The weather forecasts for today that I saw called for partly to mostly sunny skies and a temperature around 72 degrees Fahrenheit, but what we got instead was an overcast sky, a temperature about 10 degrees colder than predicted, and a stiff wind blowing from the north.  How dare the meteorologists be mistaken?

I still find myself with this mysterious soreness in my right shoulder.  I've spent the past week taking the "active rest" approach, paddling easy and doing exercises with light weights; the soreness has seemed to flare up a bit after exercise but it hasn't really gotten any worse.  Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten any better, either.

Today I decided to push a little harder in the boat just to see what would happen.  In an 80-minute session, I did three 8-stroke sprints and about 40 minutes of ultra-short race pace training.  As I sit here this evening I'm feeling some increased soreness, but no worse than what I felt after the lighter paddling sessions.

So... I don't know what to think about all this.  I still haven't made a call on whether to attend the race this Saturday, but I sure would like to.  I don't guess I really have to make that decision any sooner than Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment