Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Brrrrr

The mild weekend is over and we're back to the sort of weather I associate with the month of February.  When I got down to the river today the temperature was in the mid-30s Fahrenheit and a wicked-cold wind was howling out of the northwest.  There was some blue sky up among the clouds but not much sunshine was getting through.

I've remarked numerous times in the past that the hardest part of paddling on such an unpleasant day is getting yourself down to the dock in the first place.  Once you're in the boat you'll probably feel fine as long as you're properly dressed.  So it was with Joe and me as we paddled away from the marina toward the north end of the harbor.  Knowing that very soon I will be getting "a nice Hawaiian punch" didn't hurt, either.

As we paddled north we enjoyed some protection from the trees that line the banks up in that end of the harbor.  Coming back south, we had the wind mostly at our backs.  The hardest leg of today's paddle was coming from the harbor's mouth back to the marina: the harbor isn't nearly as protected from a north wind in its southern half as in its northern half.  I was good and chilled by the time we got back to the dock, and I spent the rest of the day trying to thaw out.

No comments:

Post a Comment