Monday, February 29, 2016

I shouldn't get upset over little things

I'd planned to paddle yesterday morning, but some unexpected things came up and before I knew it, the morning had gotten away.  Even though I should know better at this point in my athletic life, I let it bother me the rest of the day.  I reminded myself there wasn't much time left to get some meaningful work in before my first race on March 19.  I also hated not taking advantage of the lovely day yesterday was: it was in the mid 60s Fahrenheit and sunny, albeit quite windy.

I was determined to make it up today, and as it turned out today was an even better day: sunny again, a high temperature near 70 degrees, and much less windy.  I warmed up and did three 8-stroke sprints, and then did a workout of eight 30-second sprints at three-minute intervals.

My cold symptoms seem to be running their course.  I'm still somewhat congested and my throat feels a bit raw, but it's not too bad.  I also paid a follow-up visit to the orthopedist today regarding my foot, which continues to feel much better even though I'm not sure it's a hundred percent cured.  The doctor said that was to be expected and my progress looked good to him.

Have I mentioned how glad I am to be home?  As enjoyable as my trip to Hawaii ended up being, there's just no place like home.  It's chillier here, even on a nice day like today, and it's supposed to get stormy tomorrow; and the water is colder and muddier.  But it's home, by golly.

No comments:

Post a Comment