Saturday, February 27, 2016

Re-contiguating myself

I really had to drag myself down to the river this morning.

I'm having sort of a rough transition out of vacation and back into everyday life.  The trip home was an overnight ultra marathon during which I tried in vain to get a bit of sleep on the plane.  The round trip involved six flights, and on five of those I was in a middle seat on planes that were packed to the rafters.  I finally got a break on the last leg, from Atlanta to Memphis, when I found myself with two seats to myself.  That flight was less than 90 minutes; such a situation on a longer flight would have been nice.

On top of the grueling journey across four time zones, I arrived home with a cold that I must have caught from my cousin's kids.  So I've spent the last two days trying to get my body back on Central Time and medicating myself with over-the-counter cold remedies.  My brain continues to function in a dense fog.

That's the state I was in when I got in the boat today.  My body felt fine during an easy 40-minute session, but my mind was anything but sharp.  I tried to focus on all the components of a good stroke and keep all muscle groups moving in perfect synchronization.  Even though it didn't feel like much of a workout, I think it did me some good to go out and get some blood moving in those muscles.

Actually, my body feels quite good aside from the virus and the circadian wackiness.  My foot seems to have survived several arduous day hikes and a lot of street walking pretty well, and my back and shoulder and everything else are free of pain at the moment.  With my first race of the season now just three weeks away, that's encouraging.  Hopefully I can kick this bug soon and get in several good workouts in the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment